Introduce associate degree open cup for beverages apart from breast milk or formula at age half-dozen months. Work toward a goal of not employing a bottle by age twelve to eighteen months. By this age, frequent bottle-feedings, particularly with juice or alternative high-sugar liquids, build a baby additional probably to develop dental caries. For additional info, see the subject ablactation.
Offer your kid nutrient foods, and mix them in ways in which facilitate scale back the danger for dental caries. for instance, provide meals that embrace whole grains, vegetables, and fruits. cheese and alternative cheeses, yogurt, and milk area unit sensible for teeth and build nice after-meal snacks. they assist clear the mouth of harmful sugars and defend against plaque. build a trial to rinse or brush your child’s teeth when he or she chow high-sugar foods, particularly sticky, sweet foods like raisins.
To prevent tooth decay:
- Brush your teeth a minimum of double daily with fluoride-containing dentifrice. Preferably, brush when every meal and particularly before getting to bed
- Clean between your teeth daily with yarn or interdental cleaners, like the Oral-B Interdental Brush and Reach Stim-U-Dent.
- Rinse daily with a fluoride-containing gargle. Some rinses even have antiseptic ingredients to assist kill the microorganism that causes plaque.
- Eat nutrient and balanced meals and limit snacks. Avoid carbohydrates like candy, pretzels, and chips, which might stay on the tooth surface. If sticky foods area unit ate up, brush your teeth presently after.
- Check with your medical practitioner regarding the utilization of supplemental halide, that strengthens your teeth.
- Ask your medical practitioner regarding dental sealants (a plastic protecting coating) applied to the mastication surfaces of your back teeth (molars) to guard them against decay.
- Drink fluoridated water. a minimum of a pint of fluoridated water every day is required to guard kids against dental caries.
- Visit your medical practitioner often for skilled cleanings and oral exams.